Wednesday, March 28, 2007

SXSW-THE CURRENT-TOUR DAY 9 (PRT.1)

The next morning I woke up pretty early. One because that's what a tour manager does! two because I couldn't get in a wink of sleep all night due to the uncomfortable floor and not being able to figure out how to turn off one of the lights of the room i was staying in.

I mostly did a little work on my computer, and rearranged my tour binder which had fallen apart in the process of loading the band in/out at the show yesterday. Eventually I woke up the band and started making breakfast. I'm not the most skilled cook, but I did a good job makin' scrambled eggs, toast, and bacon for everyone. I personally ended up makin a breakfast sandwich for myself, which was awesome. Stephane also added some awesome music to the morning mood, which is always a great way to wake up i'd say. Couldn't tell you exactly what was playing though, i think it was a mixture of French music, and some soundtracks from movies.

After breakfast we had our morning meeting, just a little run through of what was going on that day. Then we all loaded into the car to get to the first gig at Buffalo Billards on 6th street. Now 6th street is where all the bars and venues are. it's sorta the heart of SXSW. So naturally all the roads are blocked, it's impossible to load in, and it takes extra long to get to where you need to be. What made this semi easy was a reasonable police man who let us drive in behind the venue for load in, and my knowledge that there was a back alley way we could drive through to cause no hassel.

Soon as we got to the gig, I went upstairs to where the radio/interview/performanc was being held. It was real low-key with a nice little bar and some breakfast type foods. There was also about 50 people there who were witnessing Peter Biorne & John when I walked in. We were early for load in, so after checking with the club if it was okay for us to leave our stuff down stairs we kinda just chilled. Only casualties in this performance were the power going out for a few minutes which caused the Prototypes to go on a little later then anticipated and the fact that since we were filling in for a band that dropped out last minute we weren't on the advertised posters so there wasn't alot of people there to see us. I mostly took pictures and video taped the show, then handed the camera off to Al to take over while I prepped the van for loadout.

I think at this point I left to pick up the merch at the house, or I went to try to find parking...eventually I came back and picked up the band and their gear to race them to the next show across town at Schuba's 11th Annual Yard Dog Gallery show. The load out went pretty smooth, and from what I can tell the performance did too.

No comments: