Thursday, March 22, 2007

SCHUBA'S TAVERN-TOUR DAY 6

SCHUBA’S TAVERN

After a restless night of not really sleeping, we all woke and started getting ready for the day. Isabelle and myself were located on the main floor of Minty Fresh’s office and the boys were in the besement. Francois was the first of the guys to come up stairs. He had a shitty night so he just bailed to get something to eat. I grabbed some cereal from the kitchen in the office and started cleaning up my sleeping area.

Angie came in to work and then the rest of the MF staff followed. Anthony gave us a map of the area and pointed out some vintage shops we could check out til soundcheck that evening. Like I said before, the band really digs lots of vintage stuff so they were into checking out all the stores. My main goal that day was to finish advancing the exodus show in Austin and talk to Anthony more about the 450 expense for using junior senior’s drums at that show. Also I wanted to scope out schuba’s. I just wanted a feel as to what the stage and the venue was going to be like that night.

After we walked around for a while I received a call from the office regarding guestlists and also regarding another show. There was apparently an opening for a radio/performance for The Current, some radio station at sxsw. After having some sushi with stephane and francois, I high tailed it back to the office to do advancing for the Current. It wasn’t as complicated as it could have been. We were able to get all the backline we needed for this show and that was usually the thing that took the most time to deal with.

Soon the band came back to the office and theyall took short naps before we walked over to the venue. Once again we got there and the headliner hadn’t arrived yet, so the band walked around the area with Anthony and I stayed at the venue working on a ‘to do list’ for the next couple days. I finally got to meet matt rucin and talk to him for a bit. He was super cool, knows all his shit, just an awesome guy who’s got it down. I was also pretty happy about meeting him then because I knew I'd have to work with him again at the Schuba's Yard Dog Gallery Show for SXSW.

After kicking it at the venue, just having a little down time, the headliner arrived and I was able to thank them for lending out backline to us. They were pretty nice, but a little distant, overall cool dudes though. The band showed up right near the tail end of All Smiles (who's lead guy Jim Fairchild is from Grandaddy) sound check and set their stuff up right after.



I can’t remember exactly what caused me to be very busy after their soud check…oh yeah. I was still working on finishing up my to do list and then after that I took pictures of the bands’ sound check. What was real awesome for them at this venue was that fabrice, their sound guy, was French, so they felt right at home and their show was probably super awesome because of that. After the band had their soundcheck, we ate at schuba’s harmony grill which kicked ass. I had an awesome south western salad, yum.

I went back to Minty after dinner to pick up the merchandise for the show. Unfortunately I didn't have all the right keys on me to get into the office, so i had to wait for Anthony to come over to let me in.

Merch was fun, just same old same old. While selling some girl came up to me and formerly introduced herself thinking I was from this radio station that had all their free stuff sitting next to me at the merch booth....I was later led to believe she was drunk from the loud yelling she proceded to do at All Smiles during their set. Aside from that I talked with Al (Minty intern) and Angie a bit. Finally got to meet Jim Powers who's probably one of the nicest guys ever. He was very happy with my work and thought I was doing a real great job, which was awesome.



When the gig was over I packed up the merch and got a ride back to Minty with Al to drop stuff off. No one was there so I assumed everyone was still back at Schuba's hanging out. Al dropped me back off there and I discovered no one was there either. I called up Anthony and he told me everyone bailed. I immediately was like 'oh shit!'. This is because I was the only person from the Proto Crew that had a key to Minty and knew the band was either already outside the office locked out, or on their way to the office soon to discover they were locked out. I ran over there, and ended up only being a few blocks behind the band. They felt kinda bad for making me run up to catch them, but I can always need a quick spike in my heart rate, so I really didn't care too much about it. Alex was sayig 'yeah i told them you might come back after dropping stuff off with Al.....or not...." haha. So I suppose they just figured I'd be at the office.

Anyways, after piling inside I settled down to work a little longer on getting directions for Austin together and my 'to do' list. This time it wasn't so cold when I fell asleep. Only wish I could have slept longer.

No comments: