Sunday, April 8, 2007

SXSW-HOT FREAKS! SHOW-TOUR DAY 11 (PRT. 1)

Alright. So Alex and I woke up early today and walked over to go pick up our rental car. We pretty much lucked out on that only paying 70bucks for a big ol' SUV cuz they didn't have any smaller vans available. Then we picked up the rest of the band, and went to our first show that day. It was okay. Wasn't the best venue, and the set times were running behind. High lights were free drinks, a nice lounge area, and Alex climbing up the stone wall in the middle of the set. Also ran into my KEXP buddies Jim and Shannon who were there to check out the band, The Early Years, playing at the neighboring venue Mohawk.

During their performance I mainly tried to convince two different groups of people to let our band borrow their backline for the last show we had to do that evening but failed miserably at doing this.Basically for a little summary we already had backline through another band, but they were renting and charging other bands for some of the expenses on that rental. Our expenses would have been 400 bucks which we couldn't do, and since we didn't get a receipt with a breakdown, which i asked for from the band, i was feeling it was a little sketch, and Minty and I agreed it would be best to find a cheaper alternative.

After the gig we went back to pack, and sleep before our crazy flight at 3 the next morning would happen.

I however had to find backline, so after getting the next few days ready and my stuff packed, I left the house and went to scope out backline. I stopped briefly by to see another teeth show and find out what time they were playing that night too, but it was too close for any kinda borrowing to be going on so i bailed on that idea.

After departing that scene i returned to the house to do a little more work and was thinking about crashing or meeting up with some dude who was considering letting us use drums. Angie then called me and told me she found the band backline and it was completely cool, I just needed to come down and handle the arrangements! This was awesome, give that girl a little liqour and she's on it!

I rushed down, found parking and went back over to Club Deville where we played the Hot Freaks show earlier that day. This band from California called Division Day was responsible for lending us a hand. All super cute dudes too. One of them also had the exact same different colored eye thing going on that I had too! After making arrangedments I split with Angie and we went to pick up the band.

The band was a little groggy, but they were in good spirits and super happy we found backline. We all loaded up with gear, people, and bags, said goodbye to the house we were staying at and made our way to Exodus that night! Hooorah!

No comments: